Thursday 8 October 2009

Toshiba L300-1CU after half a year of using...

Hello everyone, I am back after a 2 month break, I know it's been long, but now I am going to write my blog like more systematically.
So, today I am going to tell you about my Toshiba L300-1Cu which I have bought about half a year ago.
Firstly, I was amazed by the laptop's performance. It has 2Gb memory, Dual-Core Intel Pentium T3200 processor working at 2ghz, GMA X4500m GPU which is not the best graphics but quite good for me; and glossy, colorful, high-def 15.4'' LCD screen. Microsoft Windows Vista, not bad I thought, actually I thought of downgrading to XP, but when I turned on the computer first and for the first time I saw Windows Vista Ultimate, I like fell in love with Vista and began to like Microsoft again. OK, after configuration of the Windows, I decided to test the computer's performance. I have installed NFS Carbon which worked very fluently on high performance. All the other games I played also worked great (GTA San Andreas, Max Payne II, Postal II)
I thought: What an idiot said Vista is not good for games? Of course it is good, but perhaps they used Vista Basic which I used for a few days on my older laptop, ACER 3680, but downgraded it to XP because even old-ass GTA Vice City graphics were crashing... let's come back to Toshiba.
So I've been using it for half a year, and everything was alright, apart from overheating, but that's what I am going to talk about now. Well, after 5 months use, my computer started to overheat. When it was new, it was getting around 40c, when I played games it had 50-55, with some games it had even 65... but now, at the moment when type this, I am getting 57c. Oh crap, probably the heatsink is clogged and I am going to have to disassemble my laptop and clean it... I'm a do it soon, so stay tuned for my photo report.
Now, about the cosmetic issues. After half a year of use, the some of the keys have become shiny, the dirt has come under them, but I don't mind, it would have happen anyway. When I moved on from Acer to Toshiba, it seemed like Toshiba had better quality finish, but in reality, it didn't. The thing suffered the most after my use, is the palmrest. The paint comes off now at the corners and begins to come off near the touchpad, touchpad buttons, and on the bottom of the palmrest.

Conclusion
My computer is used for about 16 hours a day (including 5-8 by me) so the clogged heatsink has to be the effect of this use. The same about the palmrest. Some people use laptop for like 3 hours a day, so if my computer is used 5 times more a day, it means that mine is 5 times more likely to break, it wears 5 times more, and probably has 5 times shorter lifespan. Normally used L300 would have the same problems after 2-3 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment